Pages

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Reel Hungry: X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer


Check out the new X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer after the jump!

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Before this trailer I was pretty pumped for the new X-men movie, but after seeing the first trailer I'm not so sure anymore. The movie looks to largely deviate from the comic books and the animated TV series sending neither Kitty Pryde or Bishop back to the past but none of other than you guest it Wolverine "Sigh"! Granted this is just a trailer and not the movie but color me underwhelmed. Wolverine is sent back to the past or at least his future mind is I think and given a mission to stop the terrible future from being a reality. There is a big cast for Days of Future Past and I'm worried that they will bogged down the story or end up as background noise its a tough balancing act Singer has to perform. I love Wolverine as a character and Jackman's portrayal of him but I feel he might be overused and overexposed at this point in the franchise. With Ellen Page on hand as Kitty Pryde you have a very capable young actress to bring something different to the X-men cinematic universe a young strong female lead. Bishop would have been a good call up too but I'm sure if Omar Sy is the right man for the job so I'm ok with him being sidelined. Let's hop the next trailer show us the goods and gives us the big money shots.


At first glance Days of Future Past looks to be working with a similar budget as the last X-men film somewhere round $150 million judging from this trailer but no this movie is packing a budget of a whopping $250 million more than any summer blockbuster in 2013 but its production values doesn't look like that of a Iron Man 3 or a Man of Steel so what gives? My guess is that a good portion of the budget is going to the big name actors and whereas in First Class most of them were still young up and comers. Lo and behold 2 years later after X-Men First Class Jennifer Lawrence is a Academy Award winning actress, James McAvoy & Michael Fassbender both receiving large critical acclaim in the several films since. With beef'ed up résumés the trio already put sizeable dent in the budget without adding the likes of Ellen Page, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Peter Dinklage and Hugh Jackman. I seriously don't know how any of these actors are going to see much screen time considering that ain't all of the cast I mentioned.

OK this is getting out of hand and their not all there!
I felt should have recast Storm and Rogue because I don't think anyone would missed Anna Paquin and Halle Berry if they weren't in it. I do respect director Bryan Singer  for sticking with his people and trying to keep some continuity though. I also thought while neat it is to have to old films reconnect with the new one, it saddens me a little that they couldn't have just let it go and start fresh in an alternative time line maybe it is maybe it isn't but I don't see Cyclops anywhere. Wolverine needs Cyclops they are a perfect foil as far as team dynamic goes, the boy scout and the rebel and we love to hate Cyclops. Not to mention he has never been portrayed well in media outside of comics, who has evolved into one of the more interesting Marvel characters in recent memory.


Com'on Wolverine as Headmaster and goody two shoes Cyclops turned into the Villain I want to see that!

Like, share us on Facebook ReelHungry
and follow on twitter @ReelHungry
Stay Hungry

No comments:

Post a Comment