Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

Reel Hungry Film Reviews: Argo


Synopsis: A CIA operative leads the rescue of 6 U.S diplomats from Tehran, Iran during the 1979 hostage crisis. 

Genre: Historical, Drama, Thriller

Official site: http://www.argothemovie.com

Director: Ben Affleck

Cast: Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin, John Goodman, Kerry Blishé, Kyle Chandler, Rory Cochrane, Christopher Denham, Tate Donovan, Clea DuVall, Victor Garber, Zeljko Ivanek, Ricahrd Kind, Scoot McNairy, Chris Messina, Micahael Parks, Taylor Schilling

Writers: Chris Terrio, Joshuah Bearman

Run time: 120 minutes




Argo isn’t by any stretch of the imagination a bad movie (by that statement alone, you’re probably not convinced) but by no means is it as good or as Oscar worthy as so many people have deemed it. Honestly speaking it just wasn’t my cup of tea and could have been done a lot better.

The main problem with Argo is that it didn’t know what kind of movie it wanted to be. The opening 20mins led you on to believe that you were in for a high octane ride of intense hostage negotiations and a film that would lead to a climactic end, sadly....It accomplishes none of the above. The thing is I didn’t care, with little back story or depth to the characters (which is needed in these kind of movies) they could have all died at the end of the movie and it wouldn’t have moved me in the slightest, harsh but true. I wanted to like it, I gave it soooooooooooooooooooo*TAKES DEEP BREATH*ooooooooooo much of my attention even when it didn’t deserve it and all I got was a slap in the face.

It wasn't nearly as suspenseful as it could/should have been considering the subject matter, I mean there are 6 hostages trapped in a Canadian embassy surrounded by thousands of piss*d off radical militia with more guns than a John Woo movie and all you do is focus on some of the most minor and minuscule details like ‘how they’re going to pull of the fake movie’ (you’ll know what I mean when you see it). Then it tries to pull you back at the end with some suspense but by then I lost full interest. Throwing in some dark humor at times was, although funny, didn't add to my understanding of what kind of movie I was watching, it just made Argo look ill thought out and lacking in direction.

Everyone did look like they belonged in that era e.g. hairstyles, clothing, sets and pieces were very true to the late 70’s early 80’s but that in my opinion is a formality, not a bonus. I can’t state how historically accurate it is as I know little of the event and haven’t read the book to which it was based off but something tells me that to really appreciate Argo I would've had to. I’m not a firm believer of ‘reading the book’ to save the movie as you’re catering for a whole different audience, i.e. movie goers, so you should adapt to that accordingly...Book readers and movie goers may dip into each other’s ink pots but aren't always the same people, KNOW THIS!.....(and yes I HAVE read a lot of books and WATCHED a lot of movies)

                                                                                       The movie within a movie
Having said all of that Character development could have saved it, yes among all the ‘that doesn't make sense’ and ‘where is this headed’ moments dare I say It may actually had deserved the Oscar if the Characters (more so the hostages) had some depth to them. I mean the whole premise of the story revolves around the hostages so I’m baffled as to why a tin full of paint has more personality than all 6 of them put together, I mean at least the tin of paint has colour. Especially Clea DuVall (The faculty, Identity, 21 Grams, Ghost of Mars), who is notorious for playing characters that are interesting and thought provoking, just looked like another part of the furniture to me....Somebody should have casted her as a couch.
Credit to Alan Arkin, though who in my eyes prevented Argo from being a complete and utter waste of time since his Character, Lester, was witty and had a few stand out acting moments. It wasn't Arkin’s best performance (no little miss sunshine) but it was definitely a cut above the rest. I’ll also say that Affleck’s directing wasn't half bad, granted that it felt like he was making five different kinds of movies all in one script but it was a strong start and a reasonably strong finish with a few funny moments in the middle, I especially liked the comic strip type introduction (It put a smile on the face of the dying geek in me) he just should have stuck with one idea and ran with it. That ruined it for me!
Affleck and Arkin looking dapper! 
I came in with reasonably high expectations......EPIC FAIL! I should have remembered how much of a shame the Oscars can be at times, that’s what happens when you buy in to media hype. I might have actually enjoyed it.

But by all means go and see it (No I’m NOT a schitzo haha!) like I said if you've read the book or know the event in detail you might appreciate it a little more or maybe you’re a fan of Ben Affleck the actor (I personally think he should stick to directing and screenplay). Either Way My verdict is that the Oscars got it wrong.....Again.....BOOOOOO!

STORY: 7/10 
MUSIC : 5/10 
VISUALS : 7/10 
SCREENPLAY: 4/10 
STAND OUT PERFORMERS: Alan Arkin 
RE-WATCHABLE: No (as I said, not for me)

OVERALL: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment